Happy "Just-in-case-you-need-a-reminder-that-you-still-don't-have-a-kid-even-though-you-want-one" Day

Last night, I dreamed that someone broke into my garage. They mixed my stuff up and even took the garage door down. And they left me a baby. I called the police, and they already knew I had the baby. I was given a contract to sign, but I got to keep the baby, at least for now.

And not too long later, I woke up, and it was Mother's Day. People are funny (funny strange). Some call every women a mother of some sort, which I can sort of go for. Someone called my job (childcare worker) that of being a professional mom. I know it is very different from having your own kids, but I can complain about potty training, too. Or putting sunscreen on toddlers. Etc. Then there is the person at church who hands you the gift being given to all mothers. I looked at her strangely because I didn't put it together that it was for mother's day. She said, "We have enough for you to have one, too." And she is a wonderful lady, and I am certain she did not in anyway mean to make me feel like an "other," but she did. I got a gift because they had extra ones. (Actually, that isn't true; I'm pretty sure that the originators of the gift meant it for every woman in the church. This lady just managed to pick less than ideal wording.) And then there are all the people that treat you as your pet's mother. I'm not my pets' mother. One of my pets is the other one's mother, but I'm neither mother nor grandmother. I'm more of a zookeeper. Hopefully the good kind that takes good care of the animals.

So, yeah, there is the Mother's Day issue.

Then there is the "You no longer fit in the young adult group at church" issue. Granted, hanging out with kids just out of high school assured me that in truth, I did not fit in this group any more. But you know what is next? The singles group that runs from as early as you are willing to come to all the way through, well, when you die, or are in poor enough health that you can't make it, or something like that. I went once with a friend and we sat with people old enough to be our fathers. I went again, and sat at a table with women most of whom could have been my mother. Not saying they shouldn't have a place. Maybe the singles group belongs to their stage. But just what are we supposed to do when we are too old for "young adult" groups and too young for "singles" groups at church? If you haven't met someone by the time you graduate from "young adult group," are you just stuck until you are in your fifties? Or maybe for that ten or twenty years, you should depend on bars or online dating?

Well, I really like complaining, but it isn't exactly a desirable trait. So maybe I should... well, I could clean, but that's not happening. Maybe watch another movie. Who knows.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I miss my blog

My merry-go-round

An unseen illness