So if compulsions are things I do to get comfort from obsessions, and if going through with them makes OCD worse, (and if I have OCD,) does that mean that I shouldn't be comforted? Sweet.

There's a point when I've read enough blogs and articles and books about OCD. Where that in itself might qualify as a compulsion. Let me reassure myself one more time that I'm not the only one who wonders these things. Let me know that I'm not alone. Let me know that I'm not as defective as I'm afraid I am.

Christianity and OCD; there's a subject. Verses in context, verses out of context. We could talk awhile, couldn't we. Oh, there, thought of it. But an English concordance might be faster than a Spanish one (my Spanish is, uh, limmited). Oh, there, I opened right to it (the verse). James 5:12 verse (yes be yes) is true. So must I only give yes or no answers? But then I might lie. James 4:15. Yes! I can give something besides a yes or no, something that recognizes the uncertainty of the future and that it isn't in my control. Having said that, putting maybe, probably, and I think all in one sentence is not what the verse is talking about and it might (maybe, possibly) be unhelpful. :)

John Bunyan, Grace Abounding. Neat book. I think maybe (probably [ha! got all three in again][hey, your not supposed to do that]) he struggled more extremely than I do. Certainly WHAT he struggled over wasn't all exactly the same, but I can understand part of it, the feeling condemned by one verse and loved by another. Here is something I wonder, How did he "get over it?" (I think he got over it, at least to a large extent.)

Comments

  1. That sentence about being defective caught me. I worry about that with myself too sometimes. But there are two keys I am learning: first, trying to fix yourself by following a bunch of rules usually just makes you tired... (there's some kind of context that needs to be put in here though... working under God's care, working on what He shows is one thing, working to try to "not be annoying to other people so maybe they'll hang out with me" makes misery, I found) and second, God has chosen all through history to work through imperfect people. Neither of us is "undented," but both of us are completely loved and understood and valuable. Woo-hoo!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I miss my blog

My merry-go-round

An unseen illness