acoustics and mental health

You know how sometimes your various interests end up interacting in surprising ways? Well, I was doing my homework when... (amazing how much of life can start that way) ... I learned that the study of acoustics of speech has been used in an investigation that indicates a possibility of recognizing between depressed versus non-depressed, and perhaps more importantly, depressed from suicidal people (the accuracy wasn't very good for a 100% perfectionist, but hey, it is a start) just by the acoustic properties of their speech, not their actual words. Here is a link that I was able to find thanks to my text book (that I was actually reading!) "Acoustical properties of speech as indicators of depression and suicidal risk" by France et al. It is actually pretty technical, considering I was only partially able to understand it after a month of study in a class on speech acoustics. But I found it exiting to see how mental illness and speech acoustics might relate.

Comments

  1. That is very interesting! Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Who knew? What a great tool this might turn out to be, particularly identifying those at risk of suicide. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cool, Abigail! Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I miss my blog

My merry-go-round

Time to add a therapist?